Thomas N. Harding and Associates, Ltd. is a nationally recognized authority on blue sky law requirements for municipal securities. He was awarded the National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL) 2001 Carlson Prize for his articles The Effects of NSMIA on Blue Sky Requirements Applicable to Municipal Securities, and Model Blue Sky Memoranda for Municipal Securities. The Carlson Prize is awarded for the best scholarly article or articles published on the NABL website or in its quarterly journal, The Bond Lawyer, during the preceding year.
He has published in The Bond Lawyer the following articles relating to blue sky law requirements for municipal securities:
- Blue Sky Requirements After NSMIA,
- The Effects of the Uniform Securities Act of 2002 on Blue Sky Requirements Applicable to Municipal Securities,
- Dual Track Blue Sky Analysis for Municipal Securities,
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Exempt Transactions But Were Too Bored to Ask, and
- Beware of the Purchaser’s Right to Sue for a Refund.
Attached under the tab Blue Sky Paper is his paper entitled “Blue Sky Registration, Notice Filing and Offering Documents Applicable to Municipal Bonds or I Get By With a Little Help From the Feds.” The paper is also posted on the web site of the National Association of Bond Lawyers (www.nabl.org).
He served as Chairman of NABL’s Blue Sky Law Subcommittee and as a member of the Editorial Board of the first edition of NABL’s Federal Securities Law of Municipal Bonds Deskbook, which was published by LexisNexis in 2003.
He has served as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, special counsel to an institutional investor and blue sky counsel to other law firms. His professional experience includes:
- Preparation of outsourced blue sky memoranda and related filing forms for law firms that represent underwriters of municipal bonds (since 2001).
- Bond counsel or underwriter’s counsel for the issuance and sale of industrial revenue bonds, multifamily housing revenue bonds, health care facilities revenue bonds, general obligation bonds and notes, special tax revenue bonds and advance refunding bonds by issuers throughout the country (1974 to 2001).
He graduated from the University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, B.A., 1969, and the University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, Illinois, J.D., 1973, and is a member of the bar of the State of Illinois.